It´s been a while since my last update, so long I cant remember it! A lot has happened since then though, for me at least!
I have just spent 5 days on an island called Utila in the Bay Islands, Honduras. I was actually staying on one of the small cayes just off this island which wasnt much more than a small rock crammed full of houses on stilts, similar to Caye Caulker in Belize a few weeks ago. I spent two nights on the main island but the reason for going to the caye was to do my PADI Advanced Scuba diving course and while doing this I got free accomodation here. The course means you can do more interesting dives and we certainly did, I dived around the wreck of a cargo ship at which I could swim through the hold and the control tower, all pretty cool. I also did a night dive which you go diving around 6pm with torches, this was a great surprise as there was an incredible amount to see such as octupus, shrimps, lobster, bioluminescent organisms and weird ghostly sea creatures.
One of the other cayes was a remote island full of white sand and coconuts plants and palm trees – a tropical paradise which I had to get to by sea kayak. I went here a few times and was the only person on this small island – very relaxing and a cool ship wrecked island. In fact pirates used these islands as hideouts before attacked Spanish ships carrying gold. I on the other hand didnt bother hunting for treasure just lay in the sun and drank fresh coconut water!
Over the past few days I haved travelled a long way, hindered by buses braking down, road works, border security and inaccurate times to Grenada, Nicaragua. I have 4 days around here before my flight home which I´m trying to forget about!
Funny T-Shirts I have seen:
- “Some girls are bigger than others” - A line from a Smiths song on a kid in Honduras
- “I HEART NY” – The famous New York t-shirt on a homeless guy in Guatemala
- A giant picture of Britney Spears, circa 1999, front and back of the t-shirt - on a middle aged woman in Nicaragua
Items that I have mistakenly brought along:
- Sun cream that isnt water resistant – I took transparent sun cream that comes off at the first sight of water. Bad idea.
- A quick drying towel – A great piece of kit except it also soaks up smells too and after staying in the warmest, sweatiest hostel in the world it now smells of sweaty feet. Even after washing.
- A sleeping bag – Takes up a quarter of my bag and I havent needed it.
- A water proof jacket – Rain? Havent seen it since England.